Thursday, June 9, 2011

Public Schools Have Gone From Education To Indoctrination

The best asset a nation can have is the quality of its education system. Education is what keeps society moving forward, makes businesses stay competitive, allows new technology to emerge and makes it possible for people to achieve their dreams and goals. 
Education is the engine to America's success. It is what creates hard working scientists, creative musicians, caring doctors, innovative engineers and brave soldiers who keep America safe.  Education is about teaching people what they need to know.  Its also about helping people to think for themselves and how they can analyze, digest and act upon the information that they come across. Most importantly, education should be a neutral zone in which people can learn about a wide variety of ideas, theories, philosophies and beliefs.
Public education used to be one of America's best asset. However, many of these public schools have stopped educating and are now indoctrinating our students. One liberal blogger is starting to see the light on what conservatives have known all along about public education. He now sees that many of these schools are really indoctrination centers for liberal politics. Here's an excerpt from his blog:
For most of my life I was what you might call an apathetic leftie — I didn’t particularly care about politics, but I always voted Democratic and if the conversation came up I would inevitably concur with my friends’ inevitably “progressive” opinions. And that most definitely included education. It was one of the few things I always had a strong opinion about: education was A Good Thing under all circumstances and maximizing everyone’s education level was ultimately the solution to all problems: unemployment, intolerance, ignorance, public health — everything.
In my youthful brain I couldn’t even conceptualize anything other than “public education,” so that’s what I imagined I was in favor of: Making public school, from pre-school up through graduate school, accessible to everyone and of the highest standards. I was like, Duh, how can you have any other opinion?
But then 9/11 happened and like many once brain-dead liberals I awakened to a new reality. I didn’t particularly like this harsh new world, but I could see quite clearly that I had been drifting in a haze before, unaware of what was really going on. Mostly, as with most 9/11 Newborns, my new political awareness at first focused primarily on foreign policy and American Exceptionalism, but little by little, once this end was tugged, the fuzzy yarnball of my former political self unraveled entirely.
(Now it just lies in a jumbled heap on the floor.)
But as I walked around the rally in San Francisco, and later scanned the pictures taken by Ringo at the L.A. rally, I found myself thinking uncharitable thoughts about the protesting teachers: I hope your funding gets cut even more! Your demands are futile because the state is bankrupt anyway and there’s no more money to give; but even if the economy were to eventually recover, I would still want to see funding for public education slashed to a minimum.
Horrors! I was taken aback by my own thoughts. How could I be so cruel? What evil right-wing influence was making me think this way?
Even so, it’s hard to discuss the issue because the general adult public rarely gets a chance to actually perceive in person the kind of indoctrination that goes on daily in our classrooms. And without visual or experiential proof of the detractors’ claims, the indoctrinators always have plausible deniability: You wingnuts are hyperventilating over nothing! The only indoctrination going on is in your fevered dreams.
In fact, the left-leaning teachers’ unions often claim the opposite: that standardized testing forces them to teach rote learning as neutrally as possible, because school funding is now tied to each school’s overall test results.
And that’s what these May 13 rallies were all about: funding. Money money money, give us more money.
And then it hit me why I had such an adverse reaction to the whole thing:
The very act of them asking for money is what made me not want to give them money, because it revealed their political bias.
To read the rest of the article, go HERE
I strongly recommend reading the entire article because he discusses how he came to realize that the public education system no longer educates our students but indoctrinates them and what citizens, parents, leaders and politicians can do to destroy the iron grip that teacher's unions have on our public education system. It is also worth reading to see the pictures and videos posted on the blog.
Once you read the blog, you'll never look at public education the same way again. Even if you already believe that there is a liberal bias in public schools, it will open your eyes even wider.
I highly encourage you to share that article with others. The first step to improving our schools starts with educating the public about what our children learn in schools. Once the public becomes educated, then they will be more likely to support policies and programs that actually teaches our kids what they need to know to be successful in life. There are many wonderful alternatives to public education that give our children the kind of education they deserve and that is available to everyone such as school vouchers, private schools, online schools, home schooling and even private tutoring. 
Just as the solution to our energy problems is to diversify our sources of energy by allowing wind, water, nuclear, coal, solar and other energy sources to be produced in America, the solution to our current education crisis is to allow a diversity of avenues to education. It will reduce the monopoly that unions have on our schools, increase competition which will reduce the cost of education which make it affordable to everyone and actually get our kids educated. 
The famous phrase to fight bad speech with good speech. The only way to fight poor education is with good education. And the best way to do that is to educate your friends, family, teachers and political representatives about what's really going on in our public education system.

No comments:

Post a Comment